Skip to content
ALDOT News Hub

ALDOT begins intersection safety project in Conecuh County

US-31 and US-84 triangular intersection in Conecuh County
US-31 and US-84 triangular intersection in Conecuh County
Jun 25

The Alabama Department of Transportation has started a long-awaited construction project in Conecuh County aimed at realigning and modifying the intersection of US-31 and US-84 near Evergreen. This project is designed to reduce the number of accidents in the area, which has seen a high number of collisions under the current intersection configuration.

The construction is being carried out by Grady Ralls and Sons, a local company based in Evergreen, and will involve the elimination of the irregular triangular intersection. Both highways will have geometric changes that will create a more conventional “T” intersection, with new turn lanes added to create safer and more efficient traffic flows.

One of the primary objectives of the project is to improve access for all motorists, including the numerous logging trucks that frequently use this route. By enhancing the intersection, ALDOT aims to create a safer passage for all users while maintaining access to residents that live within the current triangular roadway footprint.

Federal funds benefit the area

The project, which comes with a price tag of $1,739,674, is predominantly funded by Federal Highway Safety Improvement funds. These federal funds cover 90% of the cost of the project, and the remaining 10% is being met through state matching dollars. The funding structure underscores the importance of this project in terms of both safety and infrastructure improvement.

As the project progresses, motorists are advised to remain vigilant and adhere to any posted construction signs or detours. ALDOT and Grady Ralls and Sons are committed to minimizing disruptions during the construction period and ensuring the safety of all road users.

Construction is expected to be completed by late fall of 2024. For more information on the progress of the construction and traffic advisories, residents and travelers are encouraged to visit

Map outlining construction project in Conecuh County US 31 at US 84
Improvements to the intersection of US-31 and US-84 are designed to increase safety.
Related Project
Region/County Southwest/Conecuh
Type of WorkConstruction in Conecuh County to realign and modify the intersection of State Route -3 (US 31) and State Route -12 (US 84) near Evergreen.
RouteState Route -3 (US 31) and State Route -12 (US 84) near Evergreen.
Projected StartJune 2024
Projected CompletionLate Fall 2024
Traffic ImpactIntersection improvements are designed to reduce accidents in the area compared to its current configuration.