Skip to content
ALDOT News Hub

ALDOT’s Pavement Preservation Policy slows road deterioration

Smooth roadway on SR-113 in Escambia County
Freshly resurfaced roadway on SR-113 in Escambia County
Mar 18

In roads, like life, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The Alabama Department of Transportation works with the Federal Highway Administration to slow the deterioration of state roads and, in turn, maximize the impact of every dollar spent.  

ALDOT’s Pavement Preservation Policy defines two types of road maintenance projects: preventative maintenance (PM) and minor rehabilitation (MR). Federal dollars pay 90% of the cost of these projects, with state funds accounting for the remaining 10%.

Distribution of maintenance funds around the state

ALDOT organizes the state into five regions. These regions are then divided into areas and districts. Each area is allocated funds based on the number of state route lane miles it contains. Area employees evaluate the condition of pavement near them and make recommendations to the ALDOT Deputy Director of Operations who approves projects for each fiscal year.

Types of road maintenance projects

Preventative Maintenance (PM)

Preventative maintenance projects extend the “functional adequacy” or lifespan of pavement. Preventive maintenance is done on structurally sound surfaces. In some cases, drivers may not have noticed any deterioration in the road when the preventative maintenance project is done.

Preventative maintenance includes removing and replacing surfaces, sealing cracks, patching, applying safety layers and high friction surfaces, stabilizing slabs, and more. Preventative maintenance can also include replacing guard rails.

Minor Rehabilitation (MR)

Minor rehabilitation projects are more involved than preventative maintenance but they also extend a road’s lifespan.  These projects can include additional safety efforts, elevation and slope changes, widening roads, and deeper removal and replacement of surfaces.